It has been nine months since I have written.
Many things are different. Many things are the same.
- The Pandemic is still happening.
- I am still working and loving my work.
- I am still staying home as much as possible to try not to get sick.
- I got a dog. It was probably one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.
- I lost a family member to cancer.
- I walk a lot more now.
The last nine months have not been easy. 2021 has been worse than 2020 for me. But, every day, I get up and remember that I still want to be here on the planet. I still want to live life.
So, I am back here writing to you. I have been writing for myself the entire time. I have filled up journal books with my rambling thoughts. And I haven’t really felt comfortable letting you all in to those thoughts. I have felt like I am in the minority on how I am dealing with the pandemic, and I just wasn’t able to deal with any sort of criticism that might come from me putting things out in the world. I was also feeling very burdened by this blog. The work I was putting in each week to make sure everything was grammatically correct and looked good. The promotion on social media. It became a 2-3 hour process that I just couldn’t sustain. So, I left it behind.
But lately, I have been feeling very stuck. I hit the pandemic wall in January and haven’t moved from there. I don’t like being in this place and one thing I thought would help, is getting back to talking to all of you.
The blog going forward is going to be a little different. I am not going to be trying to make it perfect. I am not going to run it through the grammar checker, so things will not sound polished. I am going to write the way I talk, and send that out to you guys. I am likely not going to do a bunch of social media for it. I took a complete social media break for a couple of weeks and it was like a balm for my soul. So, I won’t be out there promoting this all the time.
I also think that I am going to change a lot of the focus. There will probably be less mental health (although I still expect some) and more about the things I am trying to do to get moving in life. Focusing less on being reluctant and more on actually adulting.
For now, here is what you can expect:
- I hope to be more interactive with you. Telling you about what is happening with me and asking more about your experiences.
- I hope to have some more practical solutions to tackling life.
- I hope to include more things that I am doing like sewing projects and home improvement with more details on what I am doing.
- And finally, I will be putting this out on a regular basis. I am hoping to make it weekly but it may start with every other week.
What I ask of you:
- If you want to continue to follow the blog, the best bet is to sign up to get it emailed to you. That way you can read at your leisure.
- If you don’t want to do the email, then make sure to watch my Insta or Facebook stories. It takes a long time for me to curate a post, but stories are quick, so I will likely post there.
- Please feel free to comment and send me feedback. I do welcome it and know that is the only way I can get better.
I am looking forward to sharing all kinds of things with you in the future. Thanks for following along.
Awesome Melissa. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Mel, welcome back! I’ve missed your writing and look forward to the future. I am so sorry for your loss. We too have lost a loved one this last year (not to the pandemic) and it’s hard to mourn as a family currently.
I am so glad you and Fleur got together, she is really adorable.
Working is split between the office and home. Unfortunately I don’t have the discipline to work from home every day. I’m not sure I can ever improve but am open to ideas.
Can’t wait for warmer weather to play in the garden!
I look forward to hearing how life is back there in CO. In the meantime, enjoy life, keep smiling, and stay well. Regards from NH.
Hi Cathy, I am so happy to be back and to hear from you. I am sorry for your loss too. It is really hard to grieve right now when we can’t all collectively be together. I am also looking forward to playing in the garden this year. Hoping to add some flowers this year as well as my veggies but like you, I still have to wait until the weather warms up a bit more.
As for working from home, my big tips are to have a space that is just for work and make sure you can put it away at the end of the day/week. I am lucky to be able to use a separate bedroom for that so I can just close the door and leave work at work. I am loving it just because I can go for a walk with Flirt at lunch or just get outside for a few minutes. I find that much harder at my office.
I am glad that we get to stay in touch in this way. Someday I will get up to NH and we can have a nice visit.
Thanks Sarah for always being supportive. Miss seeing you but hopefully, the world will be somewhat normal again soon and I can get to a show.